Is sidewalk salt dangerous to your pet?

Is sidewalk salt dangerous for my pet?

Published: Jan 20, 2012

The answer is, unfortunately, yes. Most de-icing products used on sidewalks and roads contain sodium chloride or calcium chloride, which can irritate paws or make a dog or cat sick if ingested, AccuWeather reports.


When walking your dog, don’t allow them to eat snow or lap at any puddles, as there could be ice melting products that will make them sick. If you have an outdoor cat, there’s not much you can do to prevent them from accidentally ingesting de-icer. However, you can help out by cleaning its paws, so it won’t be able to lick any chemicals from the pads.


When your furry friend comes inside after walking through snow-covered or wet areas, you should wipe its paws with a damp towel to remove any de-icer. This will help to avoid irritation and prevent your pet from licking its paws, which can lead to vomiting or diarrhea in cats and dogs. you can also consider putting boots on your pet’s paws before they go outside.


Other clinical signs that a pet has eaten snow or drank water containing de-icer may include excessive thirst, weakness, fainting and poor muscle function, according to The site also explains that in severe cases, ingesting toxic ice melting products can result in coma, seizures and even death.


If you suspect that your pet has eaten de-icer, you should bring it to a veterinary hospital as soon as possible for treatment.


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>